Appropriate Use Criteria
Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) is a Medicare Mandate that requires an ordering provider to consult a clinical decision support mechanism (CDSM) on outpatient advance imaging tests (CT, MR, NM, PET). This CDSM provides a vendor name, number and appropriateness. If your electronic health record has a CDSM and the AUC information prints off with the order, then nothing additional needs to be done.
For our community providers that do not have a CDSM available to them, CareSelect imaging portal is available to use and can be accessed for free. Click on the links below to learn more about the Medicare Mandate and using the CareSelect portal.
For more information on these regulations
- Protecting Access to Medicare Act (PAMA) of 2014
- Appropriate Use Criteria for Advance Diagnostic Imaging
For more information on the portal
- Register for the CareSelect Portal
- Access CareSelect Portal
- Video: How to use CareSelect Portal
- CareSelect Imaging Appropriateness Criteria Scoring Guide
Frequently Asked Questions: